Grilled asparagus is an easy go-to in the spring and summer months. Little prep time combined with short cooking time make these spears a simple go-to for a quick side or entertaining a crowd.
The season for spring onions is short so when I see them at the store, I immediately grab them and decide later what to do with them. Originally, I was feeling a spring onion tart with goat cheese. We’re in the midst of packing up our home and moving around the corner at the end of the month. So, all of my tart and quiche dishes are deep in a box wrapped in endless amount of packing paper. So the tart will have to wait.
In the meantime, I decide to go with a quick broil of the spears (because it’s endlessly raining here) and added a simple spring onion vinaigrette. Asparagus have a really unique flavor to them so there’s no need to complicate things. An easy dressing on top of an easy vegetable is a win-win.
I added in some grated hard boiled eggs for texture. My favorite part about this dish is how the spring onions turn almost pink from the vinegar, almost pickled. Enjoy!
Grilled Asparagus with Spring Onion Vinaigrette
- 1 bunch, asparagus
- Vegetable oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 each, hard boiled egg
- Spring onion vinaigrette
- Preheat your grill if using to medium high. Otherwise, set your oven to broil.
- Trim the asparagus to desired length. I typically take on and gently snap the end. Wherever it tends to break, I then line up the other and cut them along the same line.
- Toss the spears in a little oil, salt and pepper. Line them evenly on sheet pan if broiling.
- Grill or broil until a little charred from the heat.
- In the meantime, grate the hard boiled egg on a box grater and set aside.
- Once the asparagus have cooled, display them on your platter, sprinkle the grated egg and finish with a drizzle of the Spring onion vinaigrette.